Safety & Health Award for Public Employers (SHAPE)
Defer Scheduled Safety Inspections and Have Your Workplace Recognized for Excellence in Safety and Health Management
The Safety and Health Award for Public Employers (SHAPE) recognizes public sector employers who maintain an exemplary safety and health management system. Acceptance into SHAPE by the Maine Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Standards is an achievement that distinguishes your organization as a model for workplace safety and health. Upon receiving SHAPE recognition, your worksite will be exempt from programmed inspections during the period your SHAPE certification is valid.
To participate in SHAPE, you must:
- Request a consultation visit that involves a complete hazard identification survey;
- Involve employees in the consultation process;
- Correct all hazards identified by the consultant;
- Implement and maintain a safety and health management system that, at a minimum, addessess the Self-Assessment Form Guidelines;
- Lower your company's Lost Workday Injury and Illness Rate (LWDII) and Total Recordable Case Rate (TRCR) below the state average; and
- Agree to notify the Workplace Safety and Health Division prior to making any changes in the working conditions or introducing new hazards into the workplace.
SHAPE Certification and Inspection Exemption
After you satisfy all SHAPE requirements, the Workplace Safety & Health Division Supervisor may recommend your worksite for final SHAPE approval and certification. The Division will formally recognize your worksite at a SHAPE awards ceremony.
As a certified SHAPE site, you will be granted a one-year exemption from the Maine Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Standards scheduled inspections for the first year of your SHAPE participation. After one year of certification, you may request renewal for one or two years, provided that you:
- Apply for renewal during the last quarter of the exemption period;
- Allow a full-service, comprehensive visit to ensure that your exemplary safety and health management system has been effectively maintained or improved;
- Continue to meet all eligiblity criteria and program requirements; and
- Agree, if requesting a two-year renewal, to conduct an interim-year, self-evalualtion and submit a written report to the Workplace Safety and Health Division Consultation Supervisor that is based on the elements of the Self-Assessment Form Guidelines.
Develop a self-sustaining health and safety management system and participate in SHAPE. It's a win-win proposition. For more information, contact SafetyWorks! toll-free at 1-877-SAFE-345 (1-877-7233-345). (e-mail: mailto:email@example.com)